- This event has passed.
FREE Business Start-up Course in Poole: Business Essentials, Dorset Growth
December 4 @ 9:15 am - December 5 @ 4:00 pmFree
Thinking of Starting a Business?
Then don’t miss our FREE 2 Day Business Essentials Workshop.
This event is only for Dorset based businesses / individuals as part of eligibility criteria. There is one place available for each business.
When you’re starting in business it’s important that you get the essentials right. This comprehensive, fully funded by European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), two day workshop will provide information and guidance to help deal with the key issues that are going to be fundamental to setting up and succeeding in Business. They are delivered by experienced trainers – real business people who will give you the opportunity to ask questions and invite discussion. The workshops are provided for people planning on starting a business or those who have recently started.
These are the practicalities that will bring your idea to life. We’ll show you how to draft a business plan, think about premises or working from home, and comply with legislation. You will learn how to run your business in a legal and ethical way and, most importantly, understand the key reasons why businesses fail and make sure you don’t make the same mistakes.
We will cover:
- What is and why complete a business plan? What should a business plan contain? Who is it for?
- Legal status. Sole trader, limited company, partnership etc. Which is right for you?
- Reasons for failure and importantly, how to avoid the pitfalls.
- Business names. Choosing the right name for your business.
- Income Tax and National Insurance. Registering with HMRC. Understanding tax responsibilities. (This section focuses on sole traders not limited companies).
- VAT. Should you or do you need to register? Advantages and disadvantages.
- Health & Safety. Your responsibilities. Where to find out more.
- Employment and consumer law. An introduction to the legislation that may affect your business.
- Insurances. What are the risks? What insurance cover should you consider and what is required by law?
- Marketing. How to research and plan. Profiling your customers. Know your competition. Promotion and pricing.
- Financial forecasts. We’ll explain the importance of cash flow and profit and loss forecasts.
- Financial management. Maintaining records, banking, business expenses and invoicing.
- Accessing finance. Finance options for your business.
About the Dorset Business Growth Programme (Dorset Growth Hub) funded by European Regional Development Fund:
The Dorset Business Growth Programme (Dorset Growth Hub) is funded by the European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. The Department for Communities and Local Government (and in London the intermediate body Greater London Authority) is the Managing Authority for European Regional Development Fund. Established by the European Union, the European Regional Development Fund helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations. For more information visit https://www.gov.uk/european-growth-funding
For any further information or special requirements for course attendance, please contact Dorset Growth Hub:
Tel – 03454 586 480 E-mail – [email protected]
This workshop is completely free and funded by the European Regional Development Fund. It’s delivered by Dorset Growth Hub and WSX Enterprise. It is only open to Dorset, UK registered SME’s and aspiring entrepreneurs within home addresses in Dorset, UK postcodes.
Only one place allowed per business. Please contact the Growth Hub if you wish to reserve a space for another organisation or person.
Please also note that some sectors are not eligible for support on this programme due to Central Government Legislation. These sectors include: *Fishery & Aquaculture, *Primary production, processing and marketing of agricultural products, *Coal, Steel and shipbuilding sectors,*Synthetic Fibres, *Generalised School Age Education, *Banking and Insurance Companies. (*please follow the link for full eligibility guidelines: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/15275/National_Eligiblity_Rules_V2.pdf)
Some Retail activities are also subject to ineligibility. Due to any ineligibility, we can only accept those who are eligible into our range of courses and workshops. If you require more information or are unsure if you are eligible for the support we offer, you can call us on 01202 607533 and a member of the Dorset Growth hub team will be happy to help