UK tech on the global stage – Tech Nation Report 2019
The Tech Nation Report has been the UK’s state of the nation on tech since 2015. Each year the report provides a comprehensive look into the evolution of the UK’s tech ecosystem, exploring the drivers that underpin and power economic growth within the sector.
The UK has long been understood to be a critical hub in the global tech ecosystem and a strong economic performer, and so for the first time this year, the report explores the UK in the wider international landscape. Looking at international and national tech investment, areas of potential growth and related specialisms, talent hubs and more, we sought to monitor and understand the progress of an innovative tech player operating on the global stage.
- 4th – The UK is fourth in the world for scaleup investment after US, China and India
- 2.5x – Scaleup tech investment 2.5x higher than expected based on the relative size of the UK economy
- £6.3bn – Total 2018 venture capital investment in UK tech topped £6bn, more than any other European country
- 5% – The UK remains hotbed for tech talent, employing 5% of all high-growth tech workers globally, placing the UK ahead of Japan, France and India
- 35% – To date, 35% of Europe and Israel’s tech unicorns ($1bn valued businesses) have been created in the UK
- 1st – The UK leads the rest of the world in fintech – investment in high-growth fintech firms achieves £4.5bn between 2015 and 2018